The multitasker and the lazy man

If I am in the garage, I lose all track of time. My wife can tell me three times to come in to eat, but I somehow can't hear her when my hands are busy.

It is a man thing, I am sure. Men, I think, have a harder time multitasking. I know that I do. My wife can do seven things at once, and do them all well. I have seen her folding laundry, while solving an argument between the kids, and making a list for the rest of the day including a trip to the grocery. For me, it is awe inspiring. But I could never do it myself.

I have to focus on what I am doing, or else I will forget to torque the lug nuts or tighten the fan belt.If I am working, I need to physically get up and change environments to deal with a screaming child, or converse like a real person (no grunts for answers). It is not that bad. That way, I can give the distraction my full attention. But, I can only do one thing at once. 

The only problem is that, when my wife has her hands full, and she looks over at me doing only one thing, she thinks I am just lazy. I prefer to think of it as being focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment