Real Friends

So it was a nice day for April, and I thought, "Why not?" I would take my '55 to get my daughter from daycare in the village. It was a five mile trip, and I felt confident. I loaded my son in the Jeep and set out.

I had been having trouble with the fuel filter clogging, and had been replacing them regularly, so I installed a cutoff valve. I forgot to open it up.

I ran out of gas in front of my neighbor's driveway.

No big deal, Splash some gas down the carb to re prime it and I'd be off in a jiffy.
I was wrong.

I flooded it, the carb dripped down the engine block and when I tried to start it, a spark caught the gas. It started slowly. I first noticed some smoke, then flames. I got my son out of the Jeep, and shut everything down as much as possible. I had no fire extinguisher with me, and my garage was too far to run for.

Then the cavalry arrived. Dave, a neighbor of mine, and fellow Jeeper happened by on his way home from work. He stopped and watched my son while I went for the fire extinguisher in his car. It was great to have someone pass by whom you could trust like that. There were no questions asked, or worries on either of our parts as I sped away for help, leaving him and my two-year-old on the side of the road watching as the Jeep burned.

I was back minutes later. The extinguisher worked like a charm. The fire was out in a matter of seconds. All were safe, and the crisis was over. Mostly.

He brought us home with enough time to return to the scene to meet the fire chief whom a passer-by had called. A few assurances and an inspection later, he sounded the end of call tones for the approaching engines.

The Jeep? well, there is not much to burn on a old Willys. There is no sound proofing, no insulation. The fire was limited to the distributor, the heater hoses, and some wires. I might have to repaint the hood and cowl, but 90% of the Jeep is fine, and the rest will come along in due time.

I was just lucky that Dave arrived when he did. I owe him a lot for doing what he did.

In case you didn't know, Jeepers are a close bunch. The VJA in particular has done a great job of bringing together a trusted group of people. I don't know of any other civic organizations that would build the level of trust between members required for all of this to happen and end as well as it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment